Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Star student Kira!

THE THYME SEEDS HAVE SPROUTED!  (Sorry for shouting, but we just noticed this last night!)

And Kira is sick...maybe Mommy too.  Strike that last comment, getting sick is not an option!  I mean, I've worked at this job (motherhood) for 3,282 days in a row without a single sick day (but who's counting?)



Now, let's hear it for Kira, our star student of the week!  I had her very first conference on Monday, and her teacher loves her!  She especially loves Kira's sense of humor and the fact that Kira is the only one who gets her jokes. :)

I also love the preschool report card.  It's so straightforward.  For example, Kira is good at sharing and following directions, but needs work on cutting and stairs.  Wow!  This is totally something we can work with.  I'm okay with her not alternating feet on the stairs going down.  In December, Kira had a big stair accident where she fell down 15 stairs and landed on her head!  She checked out perfectly fine at the ER, but I still cannot get that awful image out of MY head...it was the scariest thing I've ever seen in real life.

Guess what?  Kira can read!  (Just kidding!)  But yesterday she pretended to.  It was my turn to read a story to her preschool class, and little Miss Kira stood right by my side and said all the words right along with me.  We've only been reading this book (Dr. Seuss' ABC's) for the past 2 years  She is SO not a shy one!


But back to the reading (or not reading)...it's not for lack of her sisters' trying!  I swear, I have the craziest kids.  They get home from a long day of school and what's the first thing they want to do?  Play school, of course.  Caitlyn and Autumn are the teachers, and Kira is the student.



They got her to write her letters the right way (usually she writes them backwards, like a mirror image, right to left).  For example, here is the usual Kira writing.  (Don't worry, her teacher promised me she's not dyslexic!)




And here is her writing from "home school."




Pretty good for a 3-year-old, I think!

I'm just trying to stay out of all this so that it keeps being fun.  I remember that Caitlyn used to love learning anything new when she was a toddler, just soaked it all up like a sponge.  Well, Autumn was the exact opposite.  Whenever I would try to teach her something school-related she would say, "Mommy, that's boring.  Can we do something else?"  I finally backed off, and she learned just fine at school.  So, with Kira, I will leave her progress up to her two talented sisters!

They are all too funny...they go on field trips to the garden, the grocery store, the playground...




Caitlyn writes up all the lesson plans, and Autumn takes over when Caitlyn is in school.  The other day, they were trying to teach Kira rounding.  They have a cute little rhyme they learned in school to help them out: "Five or above, give it a shove.  Four or below, let it go."  Well, Autumn and Kira were rounding prices all morning long at the grocery store and Kira was starting to get tired of it.  So, by the end of the morning, when Autumn asked her, "Do you round $1.29 up or down?" Kira just said, "Updownupdownupdownupdownup." What a gooseball!  That's our Kira.



1 comment: